The Social Media Professional Certificate
Join social media guru Jared Beard, a self-professed super-nerd and IT MegaGeek, for his five-hour series on everything social media. Jared has been at the bleeding edge of all the good and bad the Internet offers. Social media is here and it's not going away. This five-part social media program will convince even the strongest naysayers of social media’s importance for campus communication use.
Don’t get caught behind the times without a strategic social media plan. Check out the infamous quotes below to see just what can happen to those that get stuck in the past...
Darryl Zanuck of 20th century fox in 1946, "Television won't be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night."
Robert Metcalfe, Founder of 3Com in 1995, "I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse."
Steve Chen, CTO and co-founder of YouTube expressing concerns about his company’s long term viability in 2005, "There's just not that many videos I want to watch."
You can attend these sessions live on the dates listed below or you can listen on demand at your convenience.
- Modules 1 & 2 - Available on-demand. Recorded Thursday, April 19th, 1:30 - 3:30 PM ET
- Modules 3 & 4 - Available on-demand. Recorded Thursday, June 7th, 1:30 - 3:30 PM ET
- Module 5 - Live Monday, July 9th, 1:00 - 2:00 PM ET
- The differences between the types of social media outlets – Where to start and how to apply this information to help your business benefit from your efforts.
- The good and bad of campaigns from big and small business - What worked, what didn’t, what we can learn from others.
- A framework to overcome the fear of diving into this new marketing world
- The Do’s and Don’ts to maximize
- Tips for coordinating the managing your campaigns – How to do more with less!
- Understanding our need for social media – what drives us to be social online
- Navigating the seas of social media @ work
- Using social media to influence your professional relationships
- How to draw the line between personal and professional
- Best practices for social @ work – organization and employee
- Best Social Networks for ROI – We evaluate how to find that sweet spot for your message and strategy
- Building Your Social Media Account – Best practices and examples
- Creating Great Content – There are rules, we will discuss these and apply them
- How to Prove Value – what metrics are you using (also covered in our advanced session in more detail)
- Best Practices and Tools of The Trade – What works, what doesn’t
- Analytics and Measurement Best Practices
- Tools and Services for Tracking and Strategic Evaluation
- Reporting and Cumulative Data Summaries
- Goal Tracking, Lead Management, Strategy for Future Goals
- A walk through examples of how institutions are using social media and tracking the effectiveness
About the Speaker
Jared is currently the CEO of White Iron Data, a Web Development and Social Media Company he started over 20 years ago in Bloomington, Indiana. He recently worked for Red Hat, Inc. based out of Raleigh, North Carolina as a Solutions Architect for Public Sector Organizations. For almost 13 years, he served various roles at the IU Kelley School of Business including Associate Director of Advanced Computing Labs, Instructor in the MBA and MSIS programs, Manager of Learning Management Systems, Director of CRM Systems and many others. Jared has managed, designed, implemented and analyzed projects from server-side hardware and software virtualization to CRM/Email Marketing Systems that interact with every constituent within the eight campuses of Indiana University. He has implemented school-wide email marketing and social media management systems and seen the good and bad those systems have to offer.
A victim himself of thousands of hours of dull and humorless education, Jared will entertain and challenge the audience while sneaking in just enough theory and real-world knowledge to help you plan out your next steps into this brave, ever-changing world.
“Exceeded expectations exceptional presentation. Please use Jared again!” 2012 Bursars Conference Attendee
“This session just confirms how important it is to keep up with the changes of technology and social media.” 2014 SLRC Conference Attendee
“This session was a real bonus. Really expanded my perspective. I did not know what I did not know.” 2017 Bursars SFS Conference Attendee
How to Get Started
- Purchase the materials for your certificate - $249
- Listen to each audio session and follow along with the synched presentation
- Complete each session skills test with 80% or greater accuracy
- Use the SMPC insignia on your resume and professional profiles
- Flaunt your SMPC lapel pin at future Bursars Conferences and industry events
- Be recognized as an expert in your profession
- Better employment opportunities may be possible
- Professional recognition
- Employers will see you as an asset
- Demonstrate that you are qualified to do your job
- Demonstrate that you are dedicated to improving your knowledge level
- Become more familiar with all aspects of the position
- Stay up to date with regulations and current issues
Professional Development Group II, Inc. is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have the final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be addressed to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.learningmarket.org.
NASBA CPE Credit: ID#107824
Prerequisites: University Staff in Student Finance Office
Program Level: Intermediate
Requests for refunds will be honored only if notification of cancellation is received in writing within ten days after registering. Cancellation by telephone is not sufficient. Registrants who fail to cancel will not be refunded their registration fee. A $50 administrative fee will be charged for all cancellations. Once event or program is complete attendee will not be allowed a refund. Substitutions may be made if registrant cannot attend. Please notify PDG of substitutions by email at: email@example.com
Cancellations and Substitutions
In the event of cancellation or change in event date, registrants will be notified by email. Professional Development Group II, Inc. will not be responsible for expenses involved with a cancelled event. PDG reserves the right to substitute speakers without notice.